Norwegian Mission Chapel

This miniature chapel, seating a congregation of 50, is a modern representation of the original chapels, built by the area’s first Norwegian missionaries, who arrived in Zululand in the mid 19th Century.

Norwegian Mission Chapel

Rev Hans Schreuder, who had already completed missionary stints in China, arrived in the Eshowe area in 1854 and applied to the Zulu monarch King Mpande for permission to build a mission in the Ntumeni area, 25km west of Eshowe.  In 1861 Rev Ommund Oftebro received permission to build a second mission in what is now the King Dinizulu area of Eshowe.

The Norwegian connection to the area continues to this day in the activities of the international charity Zulu Fadder.